Sunday, December 06, 2009

The birth of the puppies

Today's the day, my Family & I witnessed the birth of 6 puppies. Amos, Belle, Casper, Dollie, Eriko & Fujiko. Isn't it great, being able to witness your own dog in labour, and the whole birth process? Seeing her tummy getting larger and larger since the day they conceived? Isn't it an honour? I should stop stressing how lucky I am to be able to witness such actions. It's tooooo cool!

The puppies were in Ginny's tummy for 63 days. On the day I saw them doing 'it', I was kinda mad at first. I don't know, because I had no intentions of Ginny getting pregnant. Moreover, she's already 7 years old. That is, very old and dangerous for her. However, you know you can't stop this kinda things to happen, unless you sterilize either Ginny or Harry. Well, this 63 days gotta be difficult for Ginny, I bet.

She has been with us since she was only 8 weeks old, a young little puppy. Yet now, she's already a Mummy herself. How cool is that? Well for me, I'm getting old. A granny already. Oh well...

Since yesterday morning, Ginny was in labour. She started contracting really badly, panting profusely and whining terribly. Of course, anyone who sees their own dog behaving like that would feel terrible, right? Comparing dogs to humans, at least humans are able to scream in pain, trying to vent it out. But for dogs? They're not able to do so. All they could do was to just constantly whine in pain...

Reading up articles on the net, most of them said that dogs would usually give birth past midnight. Imagine how long Ginny had to endure the contraction pain. More than 12 hours! I set my alarm clock at 1am, 2am and 3.30am to check on her.

At 2.30am, my Mum dashed into my room, kinda shouting like "THE PUPPY'S OUT! ITS OUT! FASTER!!" Hahaha, imagine it...kinda funny... I hurriedly got up. My maid woke up too, because she ever helped deliver Dogs before. She's good! Dr Auntie! I yelled at my sister to wake her up, but she was still sleeping like a dead log. Seriously... I wonder why dogs would choose a corner to give birth. Ginny went into the kitchen toilet to deliver her puppies, at one corner. We kinda expected she would go there too though, since its a cosy little corner.

The 1st puppy popped out. We were really afraid, because it didn't look like it was alive.. its body twitched a little and soon stopped moving. Can you ever imagine that? You thought that your 1st ever puppy would come out kinda up and hyper, but...it wasn't like that. Do you know how sad it was? Seeing the 1st puppy, out into this Earth for probably only a few minutes. We carried it to the puppies den my Sis & Auntie made. It wasn't breathing. Its body was icy cold, literally freezing. I touched it, obviously wearing gloves. I tried to revive it, although I know I can't because its kinda impossible to. I called its name I named it, "Amos" but it didn't respond, duh...because they're deaf & blind for a few weeks I guess. Its body wasn't really covered with fur, it was kinda bare.. we left it lying on the cloth for a good 10 minutes, and realised that it wasn't alive. What else could we do? My Mum said some prayers to Amos, and finally..let it go..

At around half an hour later, the 2nd puppy came out! This one was really different! You could see a huge difference in its movements and the sounds it made. The 2nd one, "Belle" was sooooo adorable. It took over the spots Ginny had. It was really cute! Searching for Ginny's nipples to suck the milk. I saw Ginny biting off the umbilical cord, and seeing all those blood, the membrane and everything. Ginny's a great mummy, because she managed it all by herself without any help of ours! She cut the cord herself, cleaned the puppies herself! What a great mummy she is! (:

It was kinda long later, till the 3rd puppy came out! Prolly an hour later I guess. This time its a male puppy! I named it "Casper". With small spots on its back, it was an easy task recognising it. I was quite shocked with what my Auntie said, when I said that "Casper" 's the name to this little male puppy. She was like, "Huh? Casper the friendly ghost?" Then I said, "Huh?! How you know?!" Then she went, "Hahah I got the dvd at home." Coolness, she has it in Indonesia. Probably for her kids there.

The 4th one popped out couple of minutes later! A female again, I named it "Dollie" because..its spots are huge and very even! I wanted to name the puppies according to Alphabetical order, so its easier for me and everyone else in our house to remember. 'ABCDEF' ya know...! It was such a great sight, seeing everyone looking at the puppies, smiling widely and giggling to themselves. Retarded, but thats what you would do seeing all the cute little puppies making sounds crawling around the den. What a cool sight!

5th came along! "Eriko"'s the name! We could tell when each puppy is on its way, when we saw Ginny trying hard to kinda..push it out I guess. Her body was start to shiver, and contract. Then you could see the little puppies coming out. Ginny would help pull them out if they're kinda stuck there. Its kinda gross that the dogs would clear the membrane themselves by...swallowing it back into their tummy. I wonder why. I nearly vomited due to the strong blood smell. My Sis was feeling kinda uncomfortable, saying her tummy hurts. Hahaha.

I guess we kinda woke my Brother & his friend who stayed over, because they had this Standard Chartered marathon today. They were gonna wake up at 3+am to shower and get ready I guess? In the end, I doubt they slept much. Cause we were laughing and talking. Can't help it!

The last one, the 6th one came out! This time its body was 99% white. It took over Harry the Maltese I guess! I named it "Fujiko". We wanted Boy/Girl/Boy/Girl/Boy/Girl. But yes, its not for us to have a say in it. Hahaha, since "Amos" left us, "Casper"'s the only male puppy in the litter. "BCDEF"...

Its quite cool, that Ginny's protective over her own puppies. She wouldn't let my Mum shower her because she wanted to be with her own puppies. How cute! After her shower, she went into the den, and the puppies starting sucking on her nipples. Each of them, trying to find their way through, sucking milk out!!!

I could tell Ginny was really tired after a whole day of labour and hours of giving birth. I don't know, I felt like the Toilet was the Emergency room and my maid being the Doctor, Mum being the assistant, Dad, Sis & I waiting to rush into the 'room' anytime to see puppies popping out. I was glad that 5 puppies survived, since the Dr said that as the dog gets older, the survival rate of each puppy decreases. I'm glad 5 made it through. Our prayers were answered.

We thought that Harry didn't know anything about all these, you know..Ginny going to give birth and all those. But in actual fact, he being the Daddy of the puppies. He knew everything was going on! Mum told us that Harry was following whereever Ginny went last night as she was pacing up and down, panting loudly in my Parent's room. Harry was there with her. How adorable. Through thick & thin, I'ld be there for you. Aww... Harry's indeed a great Daddy!

We'ld probably change their names I guess...I hope not, cause my memory's failing me!